Park History

 

Lincoln-Douglas Park

     

                                  

     In 1911 a granite boulder was moved from a ravine on the Thomas Bratt Farm in Cazenovia Township to what was then known  as Page’s Locust Grove south of the Village.  This boulder marks the spot on which Abraham Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas gave speeches on separate days in 1858.  The inscription on the boulder reads as follows:

                                      

        SITE

     OF

   SPEECHES

     BY

     DOUGLAS AND LINCOLN

    SEPT. 30             OCT. 4

1858

 

     The dedication of the boulder took place during the Old Settlers’

picnic on August 24, 1911.  Judge George W. Patton delivered the principal address at the dedication.

       In July, 1975 the Village of Metamora purchased the grove area for the purpose of preserving this historic site and developed the Lincoln-Douglas Park.  Mamie Bratt is the little girl sitting on the boulder.  Other ladies are not identified.

         

History and photo submitted by Shirley A. Adams.

     

 
Back to Parks
Send any old photos and related stories concerning the Metamora Village Park to Shirley A. Adams, PO Box 288, Metamora, IL 61548.

Home // Membership // Stevenson Home Project // Marketplace // Newsletters // Metamora History // History Resources // Events // Prominent People // Yesteryears // Parks