Park History

 

Fire Bells in the Village Park

     

          Fire bells once had their place in the park.  The late Marvin C. Keys wrote the following history for a publication in 1974.

         "Two bells have served as fire alarms for the village about the1840's.  The purchase date of the first bell is unknown.  The bell was mounted on a tower at the southwest corner of the public square.  It was moved and the tower torn down in 1900.  In March, 1901, a contract was awarded to Fred C. Isch & Company to furnish and erect a new bell and tower about 15 feet east of the Band Stand in the Public Square.  The photos above show  the tower structure. The cost was $125 plus the old bell.  In August 1931, the second bell and tower were transferred to the rear of the Village Hall.  The bell was sounded three taps, repeated three times for a country fire and steady ringing for a Village fire alarm. The second bell, mounted here was replaced by a siren in 1940 because the alarm could not be heard in all parts of the Village.  The bell #2 fell into the hands of Hugh E. Malone for safe keeping.  In 1970 Hugh donated the bell to the Firemen in HONOR of our VOLUNTEER FIREMEN".  This bell currently is located on the west side of the Metamora Fire House on South Davenport Street. 

     In November with the announcement and signing of the armistice following World War I, Metamora celebrated with a public holiday. Despite the rain the fire bell, church and school bells were rung throughout the Village.  Shotguns boomed in every part of town.

 

History and photo submitted by Shirley A. Adams.

     

 
Back to Parks
Send any old photos and related stories concerning the Metamora Village Park to Shirley A. Adams, PO Box 288, Metamora, IL 61548.

Home // Membership // Stevenson Home Project // Marketplace // Newsletters // Metamora History // History Resources // Events // Prominent People // Yesteryears // Parks