Do you remember the speakers stand? 

 

 

History of the Speakers Stand

    It was in 1905 that Old Settlers spoke from a "new handsome and trim structure" for the first time. The speakers stand structure 16 by 16 feet was built in the west side of the park facing the bandstand. A squared shingle roof served to make the stand ornamental as well as useful. Most all the labor to build the stand was donated so the speaker stand cost was only $150. The paper reported "that should the coming celebration be successful, the entire indebtedness would be wiped out". John Powell, Henry Heininger and Henry Martin were leaders in the movement to build the structure. The speakers stand was razed in 1954 to make way for the construction of a new entertainment platform. 

Back to Parks
Send any old photos and related stories concerning the Metamora Village Park to Shirley A. Adams, PO Box 288, Metamora, IL 61548.

Home // Membership // Stevenson Home Project // Marketplace // Newsletters // Metamora History // History Resources // Events // Prominent People // Yesteryears // Parks