The Village Town
In 1921 the
Village Town Pump House in the Village Park was replaced with a
water fountain with several bubblers. The old pump house was located
near the northeast corner of the village square as seen in the above
photo. The new fountain was installed directly across from the
Metamora Court House. This public improvement project was started by
the local Home Economics Club at the Metamora High School. Funds to
pay for the fountain came from proceeds of ice cream socials and
"bakery" sales. Pies, cakes, other baked goods and dressed
chickens were offered at the show room of Wagner-Thompson Garage on
the east side of the square. The American Legion Post 89, who
recently talked about the same project, contributed to the fund. The
Village assumed the cost of installing the fountain.
History and photo submitted by
Shirley A. Adams.