EARLY METAMORA POST OFFICES AND MAIL
first post office in the Metamora area was known as BLACK
PARTRIDGE. It was located on the James Boys farm three miles north
of the present Metamora, and was established February 4, 1836 with
Mr. Boys as postmaster. Black Partridge was the name of an Indian
chief whose wigwam at one time stood where the Boys house still
stands. The house was on the main line of the old stage coach line
that ran from Chicago to Bloomington. The post office name was
changed to PARTRIDGE POINT on June 7, 1837. The post office was
kept there until August 23, 1845 when it was moved to METAMORA,
which up to that time was known as HANOVER.
It was at the post office that was at Partridge Point that the
information about the mail route from Tremont was found. The number
of the route was 2783. It operated from Tremont to Partridge Point,
via Washington, once a week on horseback. The contractor was George
W. Parke and he received $175 a year. Service was from June 2, 1840
to June 30, 1842. The Boys
house today still exists and is privately owned. You
will find a cupboard with pigeon holes for the mail still intact in
the kitchen of the home.
BRITTAIN POST OFFICE
A Woodford county post office that has
been forgotten is that of West Brittain. It was located on the old
Chauncy Baker farm in Partridge township. The Bakers were
grandparents of John C. and Simeon M. Snyder both Metamora Bankers.
This post office was known as an “accommodation” post office. It was
never a legal post office but a place where anyone in
the neighborhood who happened to be in Chillicothe (across the
river) would bring back the mail for all persons living in the
locality and leave it at the Baker place where residents could pick
it up. West Brittain was established October 11, 1854 and was
discontinued November 15, 1860. Mr. Baker was the only postmaster.
It is thought that the post office was in his home until a small
square building was built nearby. In later years, the name “West Britttain”
which had been painted in black was now very dim but readable. This
building has been destroyed.
Some of the information for this article
was taken from the 1956 Metamora Herald written by Harry L.
History and photos submitted by
Shirley A. Adams.