holiday greeting was postmarked in 1939 from the Joseph P. Noe
Tavern located in the present John and Phyllis Dietel residence on
the Metamora Square at 111 E. Partridge Street, Metamora, IL. The
building is known by its ladies’ entrance on the east outside wall.
In early years no respectable lady would want to be seen walking
through the front entrance.
Joseph P. Noe
died on November 15, 1949. His obituary from the Metamora Herald
dated November 18, 1949 tells us that Joe was born and raised in
Worth Township. He married Frieda Wyss in 1910 and engaged in
farming until 1917 when the couple moved to Metamora. He and his
brother, William Noe bought the Otto Weppler Tavern. When the
latter entered World War 1, Joe continued to operate the place, and
after the war purchased his brother’s interest, prohibition then
being in effect. Joe continued to manage the business until his
health failed leaving the tavern business to his wife. After one
year, the business was sold to William Nauman Sr.
Over the years
firemen have been called to the tavern. In August of 1942 a corn
popper operated by an oil burner was by mistake filled with
gasoline. The fire was extinguished with little other damage than
the corn popper. Mr. Noe’s hand and face was scorched in putting
out the fire.
January 14, 1944 an early morning fire was brought under control by
a short but intense battle by the Metamora, Eureka and Roanoke fire
departments. Estimate of loss was put at not less than $5000 on
building and contents. The fire spread to the building next door
owned by Otto F. Giehl and occupied by Lee Tracy who operated a
second hand store on the ground flour. Also lost were a collection
of relics and specimens gathered through the years. Mrs. Lyle
Hockenbury lived in the upstairs apartment.
fire took place in December of 1978 when the Partridge Street
Primitives antique shop and home of John and Phyllis Dietel was
destroyed. This $35,000 fire was thought to be caused by an
electrical clothes dryer. The Dietels have renovated this historic
building into a charming and cozy home.
was also owned by Adlai E. Stevenson 1 from 1865 to 1887 while he
was practicing law at the Metamora Court House from 1858 to 1868.
Stevenson later became vice-president of the United States serving
terms under Grover Cleveland from 1893 to 1897.
History written by Shirley A.
Adams. Photos submitted by
Shirley A. Adams and Ken Willman.