History of the
J. F. Isch Building
J. F. ISCH GROCERY AND DRY GOODS STORE
Another building that is original to the Metamora Square is the
Grocery and Dry Goods Store of John F. Isch. It is located at the
corner of Menard and Partridge Streets. It was in 1880 that John A.
Abersol built the east half of the building to sell groceries. The
store was known as Abersolís Corners and was built on the site in
which a gun shop stood. The gun shop building was moved 200 ft. to
the west to make room for the grocery store. The gun shop was
converted to a home for the Abersolís and later the Isch family.
In 1893 Mr. Abersolís daughter, Mary, married John F. Isch who
assisted in the store. In 1901 John Isch built an identical store
to the west and sold dry goods and groceries. After Mr. Abersolís
death in the same year, John Isch and his wife, Mary, took over the
ownership and ran both stores. The store was renamed Ischís Grocery
and Dry Goods Store. This business continued until the death of Mr.
Isch in 1952. At this time, the Isch daughters, Wilma Malone and
Madeline Sullivan continued to serve the community running a gift
and thrift shop. Madeline passed away in 1989 and Wilma died in
1996. Wilma closed the shop in 1992 having been a fixture on that
corner for over seventy years.
After the closing of this landmark, it was occupied by the
Ridings Furniture and Antique Shop. In 1995 it became the Cozy
Corner Quilt Shop under the ownership of Juanita Penman. Today
Debra Henninger owns the Cozy Corner Quilt Shop.
photo submitted by Shirley A. Adams.