The Honor Roll Memorial funded by the
Metamora Lions Club was built in the Metamora Village Park in
October of 1942. The plan selected for the cobblestone memorial was
8 feet high and 16 feet wide. The base and frame for the honor roll
surface were constructed of native stones which were gathered by
local citizens. Herman Weber did all the masonry work. The Memorial
was dedicated to the men and women who have entered the United
States service from Metamora and vicinity. The names of servicemen
were molded on bronze tablets.
All who participated in this project
were treated by the Lions Club to a fish fry at the Joseph
Waldschmidt timber cottage on Route 116. About 50 people were
History and photo submitted by Shirley A. Adams.