Germantown Grade School

Student Body - 1900

Student Body - 1933

Fire in 1953

Germantown Grade School

    

                It is believed that the first school built in Worth Township was Germantown Grade School.  The one-room log cabin school was erected in 1836.  By 1876 the enrollment had increased for the small school and a larger one-room building was built.  This school was used for nearly fifty years.  In 1940 it became necessary to add more room and build another story.  On December 8, 1953 a fire destroyed the 77 year old landmark school.  More classrooms added in 1952, 1954, 1960 and 1970.

                In November of 1977 the school district voted and passed a bond issue to build a new junior high school on twenty-eight acres of land nearby.  On August 24, 1980 the new junior high school building was dedicated and named R. V. Combs School. Superintendent Combs served the school district from 1950 to 1980.

                With a home building boom in the 1980s and an increase in school enrollment, it became necessary to think of more additions.  Five classrooms were added to the present junior high school.  The library was expanded, restrooms installed and a storage area on the north end of the building.  This project was completed by August l, 1990. At this time the name was changed to a middle school.

                 Again, in April of 1993 voters approved another addition of six classrooms, a kitchen addition and a multi-purpose room to the middle school to help with the increase of students. Students were able to use the new classrooms when school started in August of 1994.  Enrollment continued to increase with new subdivisions being built in the school district.  For the 2001-2002 school year the enrollment was 799 students.

                 A fifteen room addition was opened in 2004 at the middle school with grades 3 and 4 moved to the middle school.  The elementary building has grades Pre-K through 2 and the middle school has grades 3-8.

                With an enrollment of nearly 1,000 students the latest addition was completed by August, 2007.  It included ten more classrooms,  restrooms, an office area, a band room and a 1,000 capacity gymnasium.  

                

History and photos submitted by Shirley A. Adams.

 
Back to Schools
Send any old photos and related stories concerning the Metamora Village Park to Shirley A. Adams, PO Box 288, Metamora, IL 61548.

Home // Membership // Stevenson Home Project // Marketplace // Newsletters // Metamora History // History Resources // Events // Prominent People // Yesteryears // Parks