CATHOLIC CHURCHES IN THE METAMORA AREA
The first Catholic church in the area was originally erected as
St. Raphael’s of Black Partridge in 1839 near the location of the
present church. It was built of logs taken from the nearby
forests. St. Mary’s, Lourdes today was built in 1855. It was
dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary under the title of the
Immaculate Virgin Mary. Today it is one of the oldest churches in
Woodford County still in use daily. A beautiful grotto built in
1928 is on the grounds and brings many visitors each year.
The rectory was built in 1871. The outdoor Way of the Cross was put
up in front of the grotto in 1974. and a
A new parish center replaced the Stokes Hall in 1999. The parish
had its own Lourdes School until 1955 when it closed its doors after
109 years of Catholic education.
St. Mary’s, Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows, Metamora was
established in 1863 when Mass was offered in the MetamoraCourthouse.
The church was built in 1864 and enlarged and dedicated in 1877.
The first school began in 1875 with Charles Wernert, a parish member
as teacher. Today it is the only Catholic School remaining in
Photos and history submitted by Shirley Adams.