Historic Metamora Guide

For a 45-minute audio/video tour of Metamora, with driving instructions, click here for the "Welcome to Historic Metamora" video on YouTube.

Village Town Square

      In the center of town stands the octagonal cobblestone bandstand built in 1931. It replaced the wooden bandstand erected in 1871. On the west side of the park is the cobblestone entertainment stand. It replaced the original wooden speakers stand razed in 1954. A cobblestone Honor Roll Memorial dedicated to those who served our country is on the south side of the park.  The “Avenue of Flags” is displayed on Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Veterans Day. Visitors can enjoy a picnic in the park as they enjoy the history. Additional information on the Metamora Parks can be found on this website.

Illinois Mennonite Heritage Center & Museum

675 State Route 116 (2 miles west of Metamora)

Here you can research the story of your Anabaptist origins; find your family lineage in our library; visit the museum exhibits and the restored Sutter Barn; enjoy the Resser Prairie Arboretum and tidy Schertz Grandfather Haus; or just share a visit with friends and family.

Open April through October
Saturday 10am–2pm

or by appointment

for specific times & more information:imhgs.org

Lee Log Cabin

Black Partridge Park, Coal Bank Road

The Lee Log Cabin, located in Black Partridge Park, is maintained by the Woodford County Historical Society. This historic timber house was built in Worth Township in 1836 by John Amsler. In 1984 it was moved to the present site and restored. Tours with pioneer day demonstrations are available for groups by appointment.

The Black Partridge Park entrance is on the west side of Coal Bank Road, just north of Oakwood Cemetery. The Lee Cabin is on the left of the park drive, past the playground and across the drive from the football fields.


Joseph Villiger Blacksmith Shop

308 E. Partridge St.

Joseph Villiger, Blacksmith, operated the shop from 1906-1938. Currently privately owned, it was restored in 2003. Inside the shop is an operating forge and the history of the shop.

May through October.

Hand forged items are available for sale.

304 E. Partridge St. (at N. Niles St.)

The first Woodford County Jail is located just off Route 89. It is privately owned and not open to the public. It is a federal style all brick structure.


Adlai E. Stevenson I Home

104 W. Walnut St. (at S. Menard St.)

Visit the former home of Adlai E. Stevenson I who served as Vice President under Grover Cleveland from 1893-1897. The restored Civil War federal style home currently serves as a museum of Metamora memorabilia. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places

Open hours: some Sundays 1-4pm, May to October; see historicmetamora.com for upcoming times.

Also available by appointment.

Metamora Courthouse Historic Site

113 E. Partridge St. (on the Square)

This 1845 Greek revival courthouse was built for the Illinois Eighth Judicial Circuit Court. Abraham Lincoln was involved in more than seventy cases here between 1845 and 1858. The building became the Metamora Opera House in 1896. It began its transformation into the museum it is today in 1921.

Open Wednesday through Sunday:
9am-5pm through June
1-5pm from July on

Call (309) 367-4470 for information about tours and programs.

Oakwood Cemetery

700 Coal Bank Rd. (near Willow Glen Dr.)



St. Mary's Church

415 W. Chatham St. (at N. Tazewell St.)

In 1863, St. Mary’s Parish was founded after a priest from the Diocese of Chicago visited Metamora. The cornerstone for the church was laid in 1864. Daily mass is still offered at 415 W. Chatham Street. South of the church stands St. Mary’s School, the only Catholic school in Woodford County.


Lincoln – Douglas Boulder Marker

601 S. Frances St. (south of W. Bertram St.)

Visit the spot where Stephen Douglas and Abraham Lincoln gave their campaign speeches in 1858. In 1911, a granite boulder was placed in Page’s Grove to commemorate this event. Today the site is known as Lincoln-Douglas Park and is located one quarter mile south of Route 116: Take S. Hanover St. to diagonal S. Frances St. then to the edge of town.


St. Mary's Cemetery

Coal Bank Rd. at W. Progress St./Santa Fe Trail




Back to Home